Monday, January 24, 2005

Spiritual Plumage and "Prohibition"

First off, thanks to BamaBeau for the awesome term. It describes exactly what it is that I've been looking to write about.

Spiritual Plumage, it's the stuff that people parade around when they talk about how spiritual they are, and they give speeches about how they love the gospel, but they never actually seem to do, or say, anything that would indicate a depth to their shallowly sported spirituality.

Everyone at BYU knows that spirituality is attractive when it's genuine. Girls really do want a guy who shares their beliefs and values, who's a worthy priesthood holder, who respects his mom and sisters etc. etc...The problem is that some people do a really good impression of spirituality...and some do a really bad one. Why bother?

Simple: Chicks dig it. At BYU, it seems that spirituality becomes a status symbol for some. It's like having the fancy car in High School, or being the one who can dress really well. It's the status of head cheerleader and varsity jock all in one. Now, some of them really do believe what they're saying, and they really do feel the emotion. This is an entirely different case, in which the guys really do deserve to have some girls impressed with them. The ones who fake however, ought to cut it out, like yesterday. Mean it, or don't do it.

Secondly, I think that media downloading, legally, or illegally, seems like it's the new prohibition in the USA. When the prohibition amendment was passed, having alcohol became fashionable, and dangerous, and glamorous. Riches were to be had, and America was out to get them. The common individual could become a criminal just by having alcohol in their possession.

Now, downloading is nowhere near THAT big, but I'd bet it's close to being as widespread. Who doesn't have a CD or something that a friend made them? Copyright laws are totally the new prohibition...

Or not at all...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May i suggest you listen to Sons of Provo cd again. Particuarally the song "spirichal as me".

Jokey Smurf said...

I try to start off every comment I make in Sunday School with something like, "While I was meditating in my favorite spot in the temple," or "During my daily two and a half hours of scripture study, I came across this gem, which made the spirit wash over me...." I love to wave the plumage and then ignore the girls who would fall for a creep like I'm pretending to be. This makes me an even worse type of person, huh?