Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Wait, So Are You Like...A Mormon?

Only the second day, and I got asked the question...

"So, where do you go to school?"
"Brigham Young University."
"Oh, I've heard of that...but I don't know why--are you guys good at sports or something?"
"Welll...we were once...in 1984."
"Oh...is it a big school?"
"About 35,000."
"Oh! Maybe that's where I heard about it."
"Maybe."
"Where is that again?"
"Provo, Utah."
"Oh, aren't there like, a lot of Mormons out there?"
"Yup."
"Are YOU a Mormon?"
"Yup!"
"Oh...can I ask you a question? There's something I've been wanting to clear up."
"Sure,"
"Well, umm...I don't know how to ask this."
"Don't worry about it, just ask." (this is the part where I thought she'd bring up polygamy)
"Well...Are Mormons the ones who believe that they get their own planets when they die?"
(I chuckle) "Well, not quite that quickly. We believe that God is our Father, and that he's enabled us to be able to eventually progress to become like him--kind of like a child can grow up to be like their father or mother. We don't, however, believe that you die and get [the keys to]* your own planet once you get to the other side. It's a long process."
"Oh, that makes sense. I just had to ask because I heard a Mormon and a Seventh-Day Adventist who were arguing about stuff, and that's the only part I remembered."

We went on to talk about other things after that. Later, she informed another guy we work with that I was LDS, and it's funny. I forget that people aren't just like...default LDS sometimes. Our office dress code is about the same as the honor code, so it makes it a little easier to do so. I'm so excited that they already know that I'm LDS...hopefully they'll keep asking questions. The first question the guy asked when she told him was, "did you do that mission thing?" I just answered that I hadn't and he replied, "Oh, you're one of THOSE Mormons." We all laughed, and he just-kiddinged it away, but all I could think was, "haven't done the mission thing...full time..." I hope I continue to leave these people with good impressions.

*I didn't actually say this at the time...I just now thought of it, and wish I'd been that clever at the moment...this is my blog though, so I'm allowed to play with History...as long as I tell you I did so.

1 comment:

Ali said...

So far I've only had one experience like this. Like, ever. In my life.
It was on Sat. (I'd put the whole word, but my spelling is a little iffy right now.) It pretty much went just like yours, except I got the whole "Have you heard about the new show 'Big Love'" polygamy question. *sigh* But that's one of the things I'm most excited about, living here in Cali. I actually get the chance to answer things like that *woo hoo!*
By the way, I love your toes.
;)
Much Love,
Lia