Sunday, December 26, 2004

Talktrine

I went back to my home ward today, along with my family, and it was...well, interesting.

Now, I love my family, and I had a blast with them, but the Sacrament meeting talks were both classic examples of first-rate talktrine (talk-trin...like doctrine, except not). My ward here practices the full use of talktrine all the time. "Let me 'splain. No, there is too much, let me sum up."

Talktrine is what some church members use when they give their talks. In order to use talktrine, you don't generally read scriptures, you quote them...from memory...or at least you quote what you think you remember them being. You may also use any bit of Mormon heresy that you think you might have heard in some devotional/fireside from someone who may have been a general authority. As long as it sounds good and righteous, it must be right, right? Right. You don't have sources, unless it's the Ensign, and even then it has to be something that you remember reading a long time ago. Personal stories of how you may or may not have been saved at one time by the Three Nephites are encouraged, and use of poems, quotes, and stories out of non church-approved sources are common.

That being explained, today we heard how Ether saw the finger of Jesus, and how we could know who the next prophet was before he was called through revelation. Bet you didn't know that Joseph Smith prayed in the grove because he read, "ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened to you." The things I learn in church...

2 comments:

Christie C said...

I always wanted to attend one of those talktrine-loving wards. There's a guy in my home ward who has some weird ideas he likes to voice in Sunday School. My dad was the SS teacher for awhile... I don't envy him for having to set the record straight. I guess you decide which things you'll clarify correctly and which things you'll let slide. One of my friends says his BYU ward is corrupt, but I don't remember any examples he told me.

tiblittle said...

The Bishop of my home ward is careful to remind the ward before each testimony meeting what we should really bear our testimonies about but it never seems to sink in with some people. Those are the same people who rush the podium every month. Maybe I shouldn't be critical because it might be the Spirit causing them to bear the same testimony every month about Sue's uncle Charlie who was miraculously healed of a cold sore.

One good one I've heard about here at BYU was the thankimony that went something like this: "I'm so thankful that Ramen is cheap because I know the Lord is providing for me while I'm so poor."

Always good for a laugh... or at least a smug chuckle.