Monday, July 03, 2006

Learn More, Play More, Baltimore

Today was quite the trip.

It started out well. Actually, that's kind of a lie. It started out late. I got up at 6:55, and was supposed to meet up with friends at 7:00 so that we could be at Union Station by 8, so we could ride the MARC train and get to Baltimore by about 9:00. I get up, look at the clock and think, "dang!" So I start hurrying to get ready. I do the quick mirror check to see if I'm looking greasy, and am pleasantly surprised to find that my hair actually looks just fine. I decide to put it into pigtails. I part it, and then put one side up, and then realize that I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money on food, so I should pack a lunch, and I should probably bring stuff for others to share too. This thought causes me to forget about my hair, and I start to pack up a lunch. I'm hurrying around my room with half my hair in a pigtail, and still in my pajamas. I then hurry to get dressed, and hurry even more to get downstairs. In this time I also remembered to grab ibuprofen in case people got heat headaches, and a sweatshirt in case it was cold down by the ocean. Yes, that's right--I'm well on my way to being a mom. :)

So, I hurry downstairs, and find that no one is there, which means I was either left, or not the only one running late. Turns out it was a little of both. I was left by a couple of people who made it there on time (I got down there by 7:08) but I was definitely not the one who was running the latest. I called a couple of people, and we all ended up meeting. It was great--we got to Union Station on time...despite missing our transfer point by two stops and having to go back, and we got to ride the train.

Now, apart from the Metro, I've never ridden on a real train. There was a place in Fairfield that we used to go to that had some little trains that drove around a park, and we rode on that, and I think there was a train at a wildlife petting zoo we went to once, but this was a real train. It was cool. Yarjka, JD, and I all worked on a crossword and read amusing stories from the Express. Really, the Washington Post express is incredible.

We get to Penn Station in Baltimore, and we look at a map. We find out that the warf is about a mile and a half away from where we are, so I suggest walking. After all, it's Baltimore! Everyone agrees...albeit reluctantly, and we begin to walk to the warf. While walking there we pass several things. First, there are bus stop benches all over the place that say, "Baltimore, Greatest City on Earth." While I don't necessarily agree with them, I do admire their ability to flaunt it. We also pass Mount Vernon Circle, which contained the first Washington Monument, with real fasci and a statue of Layfette nearby. I liked it.

Finally, we get to the warf. Now...it's hot outside today. In fact, it's pretty really warm. Some people in the group aren't too happy about the heat, and they start complaining a bit...sad day for them. Really, fun is what you make it, and they weren't making fun...they were just making whiny faces. Anyway, we're going to stand in line for Aquarium tickets, and I'm all excited about seeing the Atlantic ocean for the first time, when a bird poops on the sidewalk right near my feet...and the poop sort of slashes up on my leg. Now, at this juncture I've got two options. I can either be really grumpy about the fact that I've got bird poop on my leg, or I can wipe it off and move on. I actually thought it was hilarious, since I've been pooped on by a pacific seagull as well. I figure that getting pooped on by a couple of seagulls from sea to shining sea has to be somewhat patriotic...right?

So, we've got our tickets, and some of us really want to go and see Ft. McHenry, which is the fort that housed the original Star Spangled Banner, and which was the site of the bombardment that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the poem that later became the National Anthem. I sort of wonder sometimes if I'm the only one who really wanted to go and see it...but regardless, that's where 6 of us headed--me, and 5 of the guys from our program. It would have been incredible odds if that's what I was looking for. :D Ft. McHenry was really cool--the guy who spoke there for our group was amazing, and the water taxi out there was really great. They stamp your wrist, and you can ride it for a really long time. It's just...awesome. I even managed to acquire an extra stamp on my wrist. Before taking the water taxi back across the bay, we stopped and ate a picnic lunch using the stuff that I'd brought, combined with the stuff that everyone else had brought. I used the old "Safeway card as a knife to cut the apple" trick, and it seemed to impress them...oddly enough, it seems to work every time. If you're unfamiliar with the trick, I'd be happy to teach it to you, and then you too can impress your friends with know-how and pragmatism.

The Aquarium itself wasn't really that great. I've been to some amazing aquariums in the past, and this one just wasn't really amazing. The part about it that made it really worth it was the Dolphin show, which was a mere $3.00 extra. This show was awesome. We sat in the Splash Zone, where else would you sit? And at one point, the trainer came out and asked for some volunteers. I raised my hand rather exuberantly, and was picked...to go down with 3 10 year old boys. I'm pretty sure that the trainer, and the rest of the audience, had no idea that I was, in fact, 21. Perhaps I look a lot younger than I thought...but I certainly don't look THAT young. Still though, I got to play basketball with a dolphin for a little bit, and I got to bunny hop to get the dolphin to walk a little. It was a lot of fun :D

After the Aquarium, we all set out in search of Seafood. When you're by the ocean, it's what you just have to eat, right? We ended up (2 suggested restaurants and a wrong turn into a bad neighborhood later) eating at a more upscale restaurant, that was actually quite tasty. After the restaurant, we boarded a bus bound for Penn Station (people weren't keen on the idea of walking back) and it was crazy--the ride was intense, and the driver was nuts, but it was a lot of fun. The train ride home was amazing. There are doors between the cars, and you push a button and they cause the door to open. Really, it feels like something out of Star Wars. It was awesome. Then, due to a little sunburn and a lot of walking, I realized I was very tired, and slept for a little while.

Overall, the day was great. I really think that it's largely due to the attitude that I had heading there--I planned to have a good time, and boy howdy did I! I also made sure to hang out with people who clearly planned to have a good time as well--being the chipper one in a group can be really exhasting if you're the only one who's doing it. Overall, I give the city a pretty high score, and I think that I would definitely go back again sometime. After all, there are still so many museums that I haven't visited...and the water taxi still runs all day. :)

4 comments:

Krista said...

It sounds like you're having a blast, bird poop and all. I hope it's true.

Also, my friend Milkman is in town now or shortly, with family in tow. I wish you knew each other, so you could meet up and see a friendly face from Provo and chat about the good old thymes and get to show off you knowledge of the area. If only, if only, eh?

And speaking of friendly faces from Provo, how much longer have you got, now? I'm sure that Madam Manatee, your curly-headed friend, Wonder Boy, and many others will all be glad to see you. As will I.

By the way, I have learned to whistle with a blade of grass. Love me.

Anonymous said...

Is my jealousy showing? You are living such an exciting life of intrigue and adventure over there! Back here I'm..doing the dishes and scrapbooking. Yay.

But it's really really GOOD scrapbooking. All the funny pictures I have of you are scrapbooking gold, my pages from that year are awesome.

I sure miss you by the way, it's been a while. When your best friend gets home you should come visit us. We have a guest room. 2 if necessary. And a temple, if you need one.

Novel Concept said...

Due to some complaint (s) I will now specify--I was, in fact, not the only one who wanted to see Ft. McHenry. There were at least 2 other people who were excited to see it as well.

Yarjka said...

Hooray for complaints! As much as I love complaints, though, I must admit that retractions are a thousand times better. Hooray for retractions! Hooray for Ft. McHenry!