Sunday, April 03, 2005

I Belong

Do you ever have moments where you finally catch some of the vision of the Church? Times where you seem to understand exactly where things are going? I got one of those today, and it makes me so happy...just ask Uffish, BAWB, BamaBeau, or Wafflewitz...they were all there.

I got to attend two sessions of conference today. It was really fun going to the morning one, though I was a bit tired. I'm running on 7 hours of sleep for the past two nights...not the best way to do conference. The Saturday afternoon session is the one that made me really excited though, and here's why.

I've always wanted to go to the Saturday Afternoon session, because that's the one that you sustain everyone in. I know you can sit at home and do it, and I always do, but it's exciting to think about doing it there, where they can actually see you, surrounded by thousands of other people doing the exact same thing. It's incredible! Sustaining is one of my favorite parts of church, especially when it's in general conference. For me, raising your right arm is almost poetic, in that you have the opportunity to say so much with a single action. It used to bother me that it was done so en masse...but you know what? It's not like we're voting on whether or not everything that's going on with callings is right-the Lord doesn't ever require our stamp of approval on anything. Sure, we can raise our hands in opposition if necessary, but that rarely happens. I think that raising your hand is really for you. It lets you say: "I have a testimony of this church, of the process of revelation and callings, of the fact that God speaks to us today, and I will support his choices of servants and do all I can to help them."

What power in a single action! Every time you raise your arm, you're throwing your support towards the side of the Lord (a.k.a. the winning side). You're standing with Nephi, Moroni, Alma, Peter, James, John the Baptist, Moses, Isaiah, all of the prophets and saints past and present, and even Christ himself.

Sounds like the best kind of company to be in.

And that's what makes me so excited about the Church. It's over 12 million people who, in theory, are united in a grand purpose, to bring the kingdom of God onto the earth. We are part of something amazing, something that is doing good, and working to do the will of God. Sure, people are imperfect, and bad things happen, but the Gospel itself is not the people who teach it. The Gospel is true, completely, totally, and amazingly. The Lord is at its head, and he's the one who guides it. It's incredible to see where we've come from, and what we've become. From 1830-now...it's amazing.

Joseph Smith said to a group of brethren in Zion's Camp: "Brethren I have been very much edified and instructed in your testimonies here tonight, but I wan to say to you before the Lord that you know no more concerning the destinies of this Church and kingdom than a babe upon its mother's lap. You don't comprehend it...It is only a little handful of Priesthood you see here tonight, but this Church will fill North and South America--it will fill the world." (in Conference Report, Apr. 1891, 57)

Guys…that is US! We are the fulfillment of prophecy. THIS is THAT church, and I can't help but think that we now still can't comprehend what the Church may yet become. Take a second to look beyond the faults of the members, and just feel what exactly it is that you are a part of. Look past what people are at this moment, and love them for a second for what they can become because of what we have. If you do, perhaps you too will have some desire to sing hymns of praise for all that we have. This Gospel is true, and it's going to keep moving forward, with or without us. We are a part of something great, and I belong here...

...and that's a wonderful feeling.

No comments: