Saturday, January 22, 2005

Please don't let there be Light...

I really do love late night walking, but that really has nothing to do with the title of this post.

Last night I went walking with the Shoebox and J 'round about 2:00 in the morning. This was all after the awesome night with the other Board writers at the work of the Smurfs, and then a game of poker and "Scene it" at the home of the Dynamites, followed by intermittent bits of
Oceans 11 with Phoenix and Offish intermittent because I happened to fall asleep several times).

I went home fully intent on going to sleep...after all; it was nearly 2:00 in the morning. 'Twas not meant to be however, and I headed off to walk in the fog. We decided to try and get some food, and so we headed to a particular cafe' (ooh, how hip sounding) nigh unto the Hospital. I knew exactly where we were going...which really means that I didn't have too much of a clue, but I got real lucky and we ended up in the right vicinity. We were walking around the back of the hospital and somehow ended up inside this hallway with a door on the other side with an exit sign and everything, and all the doors in the hallway had "biohazard" signs on them. I'm not quite sure how we ended up inside when we never actually went through a door to get there..but that's life I suppose. Needless to say, we decided to get out of that area, and get to where we actually trying to go.

Now this place is open 23 hours a day...and they're only closed from 3:00am-4:00am...we showed up at 3:03...sad day. Denny's was clearly the only other choice, and so we walked there, hoping for some good food, and some warmth, (at least for me, as my thighs had actually started to feel like they were freezing.

So we're in Denny's, and, oddly enough, so are a bunch of other people. The time is approximately 3:3o am. We're seated, and about 10 minutes later our waiter shows up. Turns out his name is Light. No really, I'm totally not kidding there...apparently his parents were hippies. Anyway, Light shows up to take our drink orders, and eventually comes back about 10 minutes later with Shoebox's grapefruit juice (Mmmmmm, that's good stuff), and waters for J and I.

Well, after we got our drinks, and placed our orders (which Light refused to write down-seasoned fries for J and I, some chicken thing hold the tomatoes and lettuce for Shoebox) we didn't see the Light of Denny's for about half an hour. When we did see him, it was talking to another table-hamming it up with the guys and impressing them with his less-than-BYUSA approved vocabulary...oh well.

Suddenly we hear a large crashing and clattering in the kitchen...and it certainly wasn't Santa. The cook starts screaming and yelling, and then quits. Light comes to talk to us to tell us that our food actually hasn't been cooked yet, and that it'll be another 20-30 minutes until it is. He offers us the chance to cancel the order, and then just leave, but we decided to stay...we'd walked awfully far after all. By this time it's 4:30. We finally get our nearly-warm fries and sandwich, and then we ate. Finally, around 5:00 we get our check, and we leave the money on the table and leave. Light ended up with about a $5.00 tip only because we didn't feel like waiting around in the restaurant any longer than we had to.

Overview of Costs:
Walk time: about 5 hours of sleep
Dinner: $5.00
Having something to Blog about, time spent with friends, and having a waiter whose name was Light: Priceless

Yeah, that's overdone...but it fits here...

2 comments:

Robert Anthony Pierce said...

What do you mean you never know what might be there, J? We know exactly what might be there: biohazards. They even had a sign! Anyway, can I please just say that on the way to the Denny's I remarked how crappy the service is there and I hoped we didn't get Light as our server? Oh, and also, I didn't get back home until 6. I almost passed out about two blocks from my house. We went so far!

Robert Anthony Pierce said...

Darn cookies! Somebody's been posting from my roommate's computer while he was in bed... SHOEBOX! You're in big trouble, buddy.